Neil is a specialist trial advocate. He has extensive experience in civil and criminal fraud (including money laundering, bribery and corruption), contentious tax and financial litigation.
Ranked as a leading junior in the Legal 500 for fraud, Neil has been instructed to lead, and has been led in a number of extremely complex and high value fraud and tax cases. His work involves advising companies and financial institutions as well as individuals accused of dishonesty or misconduct.
Neil is regularly instructed by City firms, and directly by accountants to assist on a wide range of matters including breach of contract, contentious tax litigation and corporate criminal liability. Neil also has experience in drafting injunctions, freezing orders, asset tracing orders and affidavits, as well as defending in such applications, often at short notice
Neil has advised a number of companies, investment firms and financial institutions as to their duties under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, Money Laundering Regulations and Bribery Act 2010. Neil has an excellent understanding of financial services law and the workings of the FCA, PRA, NCA, SFO and HMRC.
Neil has also advised on criminal offences relating to news gathering and investigations, conspiracy, bribery and interception of communications, blagging, data protection act offences and harassment. For example, Neil was instructed to advise a journalist in Operation Elveden and National newspaper editor in Operation Weeting in relation to bribery/corruption and phone-hacking taking place in the civil and criminal Court;
Articles & Publications
- "Too much, too little, too late? Draft CPS guidance on speaking to witnesses " Ent.LR. 2015 26/(5) 155-159 (Neil Baki & Jennifer Agate, Farrar & Co)
- Free Speech Online (2014)
- Bar Quarterly Review (March 2009) “Future of Expert Evidence”.
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Associations
- Health & Safety Lawyers Association
- British Association for Sports and Law
- Criminal Bar Association
- Amnesty International
- 2003 Bar Vocational Course – Inns of Court School of Law (Very Competent)
- 2001 LLM, University College London – Commercial & Corporate Law
- (i) Insolvency Law
- (ii) Securities regulation
- (iii) Regulation of Financial Markets
- (iv) Corporate Manslaughter (15,000 word thesis)
- 1997-2000 LLB Hons University College London.