Simon Pentol QC
There is no doubt that Simon’s courtroom flair, unrivalled tactical prowess and inventive thinking combined with his user-friendly yet forthright approach make him very much in demand as a leader or alone for individual and corporate clients charged with important, serious & substantial criminal offences across all disciplines of privately and publicly funded work both pre-charge and at trial. His long-standing expertise has been rewarded with him being appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2019.
He has a broad fraud practice that benefits from expertise in general crime, regulatory and financial litigation.Legal 500
Simon is vastly experienced in the conduct of high-end & serious general crime and a broad spectrum of complex ‘white collar’ / fraud / anti-bribery & corruption / regulatory work. He continues to be ranked highly in both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners directories.
Having spent many years leading in numerous high profile cases of serious & organised crime and revenue & corporate fraud, Simon has uniquely developed a parallel practice in the specialist field of Sports-related work.
He is now sought after in Sports disciplinary/regulatory and advisory work (legal and commercial) in all sports but most notably Football and Boxing. Additionally, he is an FA-registered intermediary,
The combination of a criminal law background and advanced understanding of regulatory frameworks makes Simon one of the few practicing barristers properly versed in sports/criminal crossover cases.
Simon’s personality and appreciation of the significance of media/PR to the modern Bar means that he is best placed to meet the demands of clients regularly in the public eye. Accordingly, he continues to be instructed on behalf of many high profile / high net worth and business professionals from the worlds of finance and sport & entertainment dating back from his representation of the likes of Des Byrne (Wimbledon footballer and co-defendant of John Terry in a serious fight at a night club), Chris Eubank (legendary boxer), Ashley Walters (aka Asher D of the So Solid Crew) and Brian Harvey (East 17) to present day entertainers & music artists.
Simon undertakes Direct Access work and has secured successful outcomes for corporate clients in anti-bribery matters and business professionals in tax/fraud investigations as a result of which (via written representations) no further action taken post-arrest but pre-charge.
- Simon has participated in plenary sessions at the Cambridge University International Symposium on Economic Crime for the past 5 years;
- He has written about & lectured on the new offence of failing to prevent the fraudulent evasion of tax and attendant parts of the Criminal Finances Act 2017;
- Simon remains a much-used expert analyst for Sky (Sports) News, Bloomberg TV, terrestrial channel TV broadcasters (BBC & Channel 4) and radio broadcasters (BBC and Talk Sport) on a range of current sports & legal issues;
- He is an active board member of the British Association for Sport and Law (BASL) and is a long-standing lecturer at the BASL-DMU (De Montfort University) Post Graduate course in Sports Law and a regular platform speaker at conferences/seminars organized by BASL & other sports law organizations;
- He has written numerous articles for BASL publications and provides a legal insight to journalistic articles appearing in the Times and the Sun newspapers;
- Simon is a visiting lecturer at the University of Sheffield LLB degree course and speaks at schools of diverse student bodies to advise on a career in the law;
- He is on the advisory committee to the African Women Lawyers’ Association (AWLA) that seeks to promote and advance career opportunities in the law for women of African Caribbean origin.
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association