Priya is an exceptional advocate best known for her attention to detail, meticulous preparation, sound judgment, and skilful witness handling. An experienced barrister who regularly appears in tribunals, public inquiries, and inquests – often in complex cases attracting significant media attention.
Priya is ranked a leading junior for Inquests and Inquiries (Legal 500 2023).
Priya sits as an Assistant Coroner for Inner West London.
Priya has expertise in public inquiries. She is instructed counsel to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, counsel to the Covid-19 Inquiry, and counsel for a core participant in the Undercover Police Inquiry.
Priya has experience acting for local authorities and the bereaved at Inquests, including jury inquests. She has expertise examining experts and professional witnesses, such as challenging pathologists on the likely cause of death.
Priya’s practice encompasses a broad range of regulatory work, including acting for professionals appearing before Fitness to Practice Committees, Investigation Committees and Misconduct Tribunals. Priya has experience representing those before the GMC, NMC and HCPC. She also presents for the GDC.
She is experienced in environmental law, particularly matters concerning waste and representing those prosecuted by the Environment Agency. Priya has experience representing those faced with noise abatement notices.
Priya has experience of appearing in the Court of Protection.
Priya has experience in all types of financial crime and associated areas, such as complex and high value confiscation proceedings, restraint orders and forfeiture proceedings. She also has experience advising those facing civil fraud allegations in the High Court. She has represented the interests of those charged with conspiracy to defraud, money laundering, Missing Trader Intra-Community (MTIC) fraud and high-profile benefit frauds, including defending private prosecutions.
Education and Scholarships
- Called to the Bar: 2007 (Inner Temple)
- Bar Vocational Course BPP London: September 2006 – June 2007 (Very Competent)
- The University of Sheffield & The University of Trier (Germany): September 2002 – June 2006 BA (Hons) Law with German Law 2:1
- Inner Temple scholar: BVC Exhibition & the Yarborough-Anderson Prize 2006
- Neuroscience, Fundamentals Part 1, Harvard (2019)
- Anatomy: Know your abdomen, University of Leeds (2006)
- Coronial Law, Bolton University (2022)
Publications and Lectures
- Culture Based Crime, Lecture, May 2015
- Identity Documents Act 2010, Lecture, August 2011
- The nuts and bolts of trial advocacy, The Circuiteer, 2010
- Bail vs. Gaol – The Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008, Solicitors Journal, May 2009
- Update on abuse of process, Criminal Bar Quarterly, 2009