James Gray is a dedicated criminal advocate known for his commitment to every client’s case. He is consistently recommended by the leading directories as a ‘go-to’ choice for cases involving homicide and serious sexual offences. He is a trial lawyer of considerable experience and highly regarded by those with whom he works.
Outside his criminal practice, he maintains an interest in the protection of journalists and the freedom of speech. In pursuit of this interest, he has worked with the Media Legal Defence Initiative on applications to the African Commission (criminal defamation in Rwanda); ECOWAS (seditious publication in Gambia); the Singapore Court of Appeal (confidentiality of journalist's sources) and the ECHR.
- ‘A go-to junior for serious sexual assault cases. His broad expertise also encompasses homicides and modern slavery matters.’ Chambers & Partners 2021
- ‘Highly experienced in cases involving serious sexual offences’ Legal 500 2019.
- ‘Leading individual, combines a direct approach with the ability to put clients at ease.’ Legal 500 2018
Education and Awards
- LL.B (Hons) law 2:1
- BVC (Outstanding)
- Chancery House Chambers Prize for first-place student
- Lincoln's Inn Cassel Scholarship
- Plowden Chambers Advocacy prize
- Lincoln's Inn Buchanan Prize
- Bad Character and the Bolstering of a Weak Case, The Solicitor's Journal.
- Lethal injections; will they ever be too barbaric? The Times (London).
- The EU- US Extradition Agreement: Reciprocity and a Fair Balance, The Journal of Human Rights and UK Practice.
- Cruel and Unusual Punishment in the Caribbean Commonwealth, Oxford University
- Commonwealth Law Journal.
- Human Rights and Constitutional Reform, The Journal of Human Rights and UK Practice.
- Exerting Outdated Colonial Power or Keeping Step with the Evolving Standards of Decency? The Journal of Human Rights and UK Practice.
- New Zealand Trusts its Own Judgement, The Times (London).
- Political Interference - The Home Secretary and Life Sentences, The Solicitors Journal.
- Is the Abolition of the Death Penalty on the Legal Horizon? The New Law Journal.
- The War on Terror and the US Constitution, The Solicitors Journal.
- The Chair, the Needle and the Eighth Amendment, The Journal of Civil Liberties.
- Member of the Southern Eastern Circuit