"Tenacious, talented and fizzing with a crusading spirit." Legal 500 2018
Lisa is a specialist defence practitioner, instructed in cases covering all aspects of criminal law, including multi-handed murders, drug conspiracies, armed robberies, kidnaps and serious sexual offences both as a led junior and junior alone. She is ranked as a leader in Crime in the Legal 500 and recommended as a leading junior in Chambers UK.
Renowned for her fearlessness in court and friendliness outside the court room, Lisa is greatly valued by those who instruct her. She is highly committed to the defence of those she represents, which has resulted in numerous successful appearances at all level including in the Court of Criminal Appeal.
She appeared in the Court of Appeal in R v Anwar & Others – the pivotal terminatory ruling appeal concerned with the application of the Jogee principles (joint enterprise murder) to submissions of no case to answer. She has a busy Court of Appeal post-conviction referral practice, including advising on appeal against convictions and sentences.
Lisa is a skilled and sensitive court advocates and cross examiner. She is highly adept in dealing with both complex legal challenges and difficult witnesses. With a background in medical ethics and having received training from the National Autistic Society, Lisa is regularly instructed to defend those who are suffering from mental health difficulties, including those who are ‘Pritchard unfit’. She is recognised for her skilful handling of cases involving young and vulnerable defendants and is experienced in examining Consultant psychiatrists and working with intermediaries.
Lisa is regularly instructed in high-profile cases, including the ‘Keira Knightly stalker’ case.
Lisa appears in contested confiscation hearings and civil proceedings for the detention and forfeiture of seized cash. Additionally Lisa appears before disciplinary tribunals, on behalf of midwives, social workers and other professionals.
- Bernard Sunley Award (Knights of the Round Table)
- Advanced Advocacy Trainer, Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Lead Scholarship Interview, Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Criminal Bar Association Working Group on Court Capacity
- Policy Committee, Women in Criminal Law
- Vice President of the Association of Women Barrister
- Lectures on regulatory law and procedure.
- Pegasus Scholar, 2015-16 (Meredith Connell, Auckland, NZ; Crown Law, Wellington, NZ)
- Judicial Assistant at Southwark Crown Court, 2008 (R v Rastogi & Others - £340 million metal fraud)
- "She is a brilliant advocate who is always willing to go the extra mile." Chambers UK 2022
- "Forever effervescent, able and prodigiously hard-working, Lisa is a hugely capable lawyer, persuasive advocate and masters all aspects of complex cases in an organised and timely fashion. She is a pleasure to lead and a delight to be in a case with" Legal 500 2022, Crime
- "The complete package of the industry, charm, talent, dedicaiton and fearlessness." Chambers UK 2021
- "She has a tireless work ethic and sound judgement." Legal 500 2021
- "A good battler." Legal 500 2020
- 'Lady Hale makes her own luck’, The Times, The Brief, 24 July 2017
- ‘DNA in the Courtroom’ (Stuart Miller)
- ‘Would you rather be a Bitch or a Bimbo?’ (Counsel magazine)
- ‘An Overview of Previous Working Party Reports’; Appendix to the Bar Working Party Final Report (Lord Neuberger).
- Association of Women Barristers (Vice President)
- South Eastern Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association