Alex has been consistently recognised as one of the country's leading junior barristers in multiple areas across his specialism including: Fraud, Inquests, Regulatory law, and Crime.
He one of the Attorney General’s panel of Special Advocates, and has the necessary security clearance to represent individuals in closed proceedings, whether before SIAC or any other tribunal.
"He has a controlled and measured approach to advocacy." Legal 500 2020
"Hardworking, with a brilliant brain." Legal 500 2020
"A poised and persuasive advocate." Legal 500 2020
"He knows his cases inside-out and impresses with his attention to detail." "He is very bright and tactical, clients like him because of his relaxed manner." Legal 500, 2018
“He exudes confidence in an understated way” Legal 500 2017
“He has an eloquent and uncompromising approach, combining genuine legal acumen with a practical touch.” Legal 500 2016
Alex is an astute tactician and powerful advocate. The hallmark of his practice is assisting those who find themselves on the wrong-end of significant State intervention.
He often called upon to represent interested persons in inquest proceedings (both families and those under scrutiny). He represented the family a young soldier who died at the notorious “Deepcut” barracks both before the High Court and at the re-inquest, and has been retained to represent the families of many of those killed in the bombing of the Ariana Grande Concert at the Manchester Arena.
Alex has heavy experience in fraud and general criminal cases, particularly where factually and legally complex allegations are concerned. He often appears for those accused of causing fatalities whilst driving.
As well as providing courtroom representation, Alex advises individuals and corporates, particularly in the areas of regulatory compliance and investigations. Recent clients have included international sporting bodies and household-name corporates.
Alex can accept Direct Public Access instruction.
Selected Lectures and Publications
- Human Rights and Benefit Calculations – Address to the Criminal Law Friendly Society
- Unexplained Wealth Orders – 25 Bedford Row Fraud Group Bulletin
- Impairment, Sanction & the Public Interest – Address to the General Dental Council
- Approaching the Inquest from the Regulatory Perspective - Address to the Royal College of Nurses
- The Regulation of Health & Social Provisions Bill
- The Criminal Liability of Companies – for PLC
- Young Fraud Lawyers
- Fraud Lawyer’s Association
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Criminal Bar Association
- CyberCrime Practitioners Association
- MA (Cantab) in Law, Jesus College, Cambridge