Alex is regarded as one of the country's leading junior barristers, practicing principally in the areas of: fraud; inquests and inquiries; regulatory law, and crime. He is one of the youngest appointees to the Attorney General’s panel of Special Advocates.
- "Provides direct and clear advice in an empathetic way. Puts clients at their ease but gets his message across very effectively. Understated but persuasive advocacy style - very measured." Legal 500 2023, Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory Law
- "Alex is tremendously diligent and hardworking. He is also very attentive and compassionate in relation to his clients" Legal 500 2023, Inquests and Inquiries
- "Alex is extremely knowledgeable. He is down-to-earth which makes him well-liked by clients. He is a passionate advocate." Legal 500 2023, Fraud: Crime
- "Alex has a razor-sharp academic mind which he uses to apply nuanced arguments to every case. He is approachable and practical and immediately puts clients at ease" Legal 500 2023, Crime
- "Alex brings an incredible calmness to case preparation and court advocacy. He seems able to slow time and centres on the key issues in cases, filtering out the noise. His calmness and targeted communication allows him to engage with lay clients at ease, building respect and confidence with them. It also allows him to command the attention and respect of judges and tribunals alike." Legal 500 Crime 2022
- "A great advocate who is down to earth, knowledgeable, and remains serene under pressure." Legal 500 Fraud Crime 2022
- "Excellent with clients and very user-friendly - definitely a team player. His advocacy skills are top class." Legal 500 2022 Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory Law
- "Very thorough and detail focused - a supremely confident performer and impressive advocate." Legal 500 2022 Inquests and Inquiries
- “A superb barrister. Impressive beyond his years, clever and with excellent judgement…” Legal 500, 2021 (Professional Discipline)
- “Alex has the gravitas of someone more senior than his years and his approach to cases is sensible, pragmatic, reasonable and thorough. He meticulously prepares all cases and will run all the possible legal arguments required taking advantage of lapses in procedure to exclude and challenge evidence. He is a class act and someone who can turn his hand to any case. He is popular with clients who find his manner approachable and his willingness to go the extra mile for a client is noteworthy.” Legal 500, 2021 (Fraud)
- “He exudes an aura of control through his calm demeanour. His calmness and measured approach, allows him to engage with lay clients at ease, building respect and confidence with them quickly. Lay clients find his “no nonsense”, “say it as it is” approach reassuring, as it provides clarity." Legal 500, 2021 (Crime)
- "Hardworking, with a brilliant brain." Legal 500, 2020 (Fraud)
- "A poised and persuasive advocate." Legal 500, 2020 (Professional Discipline)
- "He has a controlled and measured approach..." Legal 500, 2020 (Crime)
- "He knows his cases inside-out and impresses with his attention to detail. He is very bright and tactical, clients like him because of his relaxed manner." Legal 500, 2019
- “He exudes confidence in an understated way." Legal 500, 2018
- “He has an eloquent and uncompromising approach, combining genuine legal acumen with a practical touch.” Legal 500, 2017
Alex is a tenacious and results-driven advocate. The hallmarks of his practice are forensic analysis; strategic advice; and uncompromising advocacy. The unifying feature of his broad specialism is in assisting those who find themselves on the wrong-end of significant State intervention.
As a Special Advocate, Alex has the necessary security clearance represent individuals in closed proceedings dealing in matters of national security, whether before SIAC or any other tribunal.
He often called upon to represent interested persons in inquest and inquiry proceedings (both families and those under scrutiny). He is currently instructed to represent the bereaved families of those killed in the Manchester Arena Bombing Public Inquiry. He also recently represented the family a young soldier who died at the notorious “Deepcut” barracks, both in proceedings before the High Court and at the re-inquest.
Alex has many years of experience in the litigation of allegations of fraud and of serious organised crime. He tends to be particularly sought after where factually and legally complex allegations are concerned.
As well as providing courtroom representation, Alex advises individuals and corporates, particularly in the areas of regulatory compliance and investigations. Recent clients have included international sporting bodies and household-name corporates.
Alex can accept Direct Public Access instruction.
Selected Lectures and Publications
- Human Rights and Benefit Calculations – Address to the Criminal Law Friendly Society
- Unexplained Wealth Orders – 25 Bedford Row Fraud Group Bulletin
- Impairment, Sanction & the Public Interest – Address to the General Dental Council
- Approaching the Inquest from the Regulatory Perspective - Address to the Royal College of Nurses
- The Regulation of Health & Social Provisions Bill
- The Criminal Liability of Companies – for PLC
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- CyberCrime Practitioners Association
- MA (Cantab) in Law, Jesus College, Cambridge