Paul Mendelle QC
Paul Mendelle QC had a mixed civil and criminal practice for many years but nowadays practises exclusively in defence work, specialising in the most serious criminal offences: murder, armed robbery, and multiple rape, drug trafficking, corruption, fraud and money laundering extensive experience of appellate proceedings.
He is a very persuasive advocate, who is tactically smart. - Chambers UK
Mr Mendelle has built a reputation of excellence and regulatory expertise from the foundations of his well-established criminal and fraud practice and is experienced in representing professional and corporate defendants charged with regulatory offences.
He has been an active committee member of the CBA for many years and succeeded to the Chairmanship in September 2009 after his year as Vice Chairman.
Significant involvement in CBA and Bar Council working parties and has engaged in negotiations with the Legal Services Commission and Ministry of Justice on behalf of the Criminal Bar.
Joint Head of Chambers since 2014. Qualified to accept Direct Access Work.
Articles & Publications
Many CBA working party reports, including those on disclosure in Customs prosecutions, the attendance of witnesses, the regulation of forensic science and sentencing guidelines in death by driving cases.
- Criminal Bar Association Vice Chairman and Chairman.
- Speaker on Pre-recorded questioning of vulnerable witnesses at LCCSA European Conference 2014, Alicante, Spain.
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
- Paul is one of the most distinguished practitioners at the Criminal Bar. He is honest, forensically thorough and supremely articulate — no client could hope or find better. Amongst his many strengths and qualities are his highly accomplished advocacy, the extremely high standard of his written submissions and his expert legal knowledge. He is a powerful presence in court and brings great authority to bear with real courtesy and charm. ’ Legal 500 Crime 2022
- He is very meticulous and forensic in his approach and has huge gravitas in court. Chambers UK 2021
- Very smooth as an advocate and immensely experienced, he has a very soothing manner with the jury. Chambers UK 2021
- A precise, authoritative silk who is great with difficult clients. Legal 500 2021
- One of the silkiest, smoothest advocates in the profession. Legal 500 2020
- Legally, he's like a lecturer on law – so precise and incisive. No words are wasted when he talks. Quick on his feet and tactically astute, he's an exceptional defence advocate. Chambers UK 2020
- A personable, effective communicator" who "when instructed in a case gives one hundred per cent." Chambers UK 2020
- A first-class cross examiner equally able to calm, bludgeon or subtly undermine witnesses as required. Legal 500 2018
- Very canny and extremely focused on the needs of his clients. Chambers UK
- An extremely astute and strategic operator. Chambers UK
- Fearlessly defends his clients. Chambers UK
- He's very smooth and assured in court. Chambers UK
- Fabulous advocate. Legal 500
- A gent who has a very good mind. Chambers UK
- Hard working and client-friendly. Legal 50
- Assured and sure-footed. Chambers UK
- A very reliable performer who has good judgement. Chambers UK
- He is a formidable cross-examiner and his legal submissions are measured, succinct and very persuasive. Legal 500