Exclusively criminal defence work with particular emphasis on serious violence such as murder, robbery, armed robbery and other firearms offences. Additional focus on drugs-related offences, gang crime, fraud and public order matters.
Recommended as a leader in Crime in Chambers Uk & Legal 500
Recommended as a leader in Legal 500
Has been instructed in a number of high-profile cases including terrorism and cases arising from tabloid newspaper investigations. Also conducts appellate work.
A number of years working in the House of Commons as a researcher and campaigns officer for the Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, before coming to the Bar in 1992. Also worked in the United States on a number of historic human-rights cases arising out of the FBI counter-intelligence programme against domestic political organisations including the Black Panther Party and American Indian Movement.
- 1988 LLB (Hons) Leeds (First Class)
- Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Berkeley 1988/9
- Originator and speaker at Gang Crime Symposium by 25 Bedford Row
- Originator of symposium on the Investigatory Powers Bill at 25 Bedford Row
- Has worked in the USA on miscarriage of justice cases involving former members of the Black Panther Party including the co-founder Huey Newton and former L.A Panther leader Geronimo Pratt.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Board Member of 'Rights International’ a small public-interest pressure group which litigates individual human rights cases in international forums