Matthew specialises in the areas of serious crime, complex fraud and regulatory matters. His reputation is built on his forensic mind, sound tactical judgement and affable approach. He is passionate about his cases and leaves nothing to chance as a result of his meticulous preparation. He is an effective advocate who enjoys submissions involving complex legal argument.
Amongst his cases, he is currently instructed in the FIFA Corruption Case in which he represents the current head of the South American Football Association; he is advising a FTSE 100 Company who are the subject of an SFO investigation in relation to international bribery and corruption; and is representing a former Premier League Footballer charged with Fraudulent Trading. Matthew has also represented the Royal Marine charged with terrorism.
Matthew has written on the subject of ‘ internal investigations and corporate self-reporting’ and has recently had work on this issue published in the Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law.
His practice is split equally between legal aid work and private work.
- Human Rights Lawyers Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- Extradition Lawyers Association
- Member & Committee's representative of the North London Bar Mess
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- United Kingdom Environmental Law Association (UKELA)
- South Eastern Circuit
- BA Hons. (Politics) University of Leeds
- CPE City University
- BVC Inns of Court School of Law
- Awarded Middle Temple Benefactors Scholarship for BVC
Media / Publications
- Selected to feature in Radio 5Live’s three part series ‘Raising the Bar’ in which a day in the life of barrister is explored including the anticipation of the very first case on your feet, the pressures of the job while juggling family life, bars to the entry into the profession and the importance of judgment and tactical decision. Listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06k9w6b#play
- Article in Practical Law’s Corporate Crime section on jury selection and crown court trials.
- ‘Self reporting and internal investigations: Speak Now of Forever Hold Your Peace’ , JIBFL
- "Matthew is extremely thorough, diligent, razor sharp and able to deal with the nitty gritty in all cases. He is a silk in waiting." Legal 500 2024, Crime
- "Matt is very calm and thorough. Clients always appreciate his advice" Legal 500 2023, Crime
- "Matthew is a barrister of the highest competence which has already seen him instructed as a leading counsel. His dedication to meticulous preparation is second to none. He is a fearless advocate before judge and jury and enshrines the best of the profession in his approach to his conduct in court and in conference with his clients." Legal 500 Crime 2022
- "A young, up-and-coming practitioner on the cusp of very good things. Not scared to take on anyone or any point, clients love his "can-do" attitude." Legal 500 2022
- "His speeches are a cut above – his clients comment on how engaging they are." Legal 500 2020
- "A persuasive advocate who can relate to clients from all walks of life without airs and graces." Legal 500 2018.