Tyrone Smith KC
Tyrone is a highly experienced, highly sought-after Silk who has consistently defended in very serious, substantial and often high-profile criminal cases, including murder, large scale drug conspiracies, fraud and terrorism cases.
Recommended in Crime in Chambers UK
Over many years he has gained a reputation as a fearless advocate who is effective at cross-examining lay, professional and expert witnesses. He is adept at changing his approach and tactics to meet the wide variety of criminal cases he defends in.
He has a specialist knowledge of telecommunications evidence, including Encrochat and cell site.
Tyrone was elected as Head of Chambers in January 2023.
- "Realistic in his advocacy, he never tries to surmount the impossible." Chambers UK 2024, Crime
- "He is a strategic mastermind, who has excellent legal knowledge and produces impeccable advocacy." Chambers UK 2024, Crime
- "Very jury friendly and very succinct in his submissions - he has a nice, clear, direct manner." Chambers UK 2024, Crime
- "Tyrone Smith KC is an impressive silk who routinely acts in murder, manslaughter, drugs and all manner of other serious criminal cases. He is particularly noted for his skill in motor manslaughter matters, and is an expert in telecommunications evidence." Chambers UK 2024, Crime
- "Tyrone is a superb advocate who commands attention from and wins the respect of the jury. He is able to cut through to the issues in a case incredibly quickly and is not fazed by unexpected developments in a trial. He is also well abreast of the law and able to make concise but comprehensive legal submissions before a judge at short notice." Legal 500 2024, Crime
- "A lawyer with tremendous insight who is brilliant with clients." Chambers UK 2023 , Crime
- "He combines an approachable attitude with serious intellect and advocacy." Legal 500 2023, Crime
- "A phenomenal jury advocate who is brave enough to throw a humorous line into a case and get the jury on his side." Chambers UK 2022
- "Tyrone has a measured and determined approach and is extremely good with young and vulnerable defendants facing murder. He is a new breed of silk with a good thirst for PR and client management, both professional and lay. He is well-liked by his contemporaries and the judges and he is affable, warm and engaging in all that he does. He takes great interest in his juniors and whilst running an extremely busy and successful practice he maintains a hands-on approach to his cases." Legal 500 2022, Crime
- "A very fine silk whose judgement is spot-on every time. He deals really well under pressure and is utterly unflappable." Chambers UK 2021
- "A fearless advocate and beguiling charmer of judges and juries alike." Legal 500 2021
- "He finds alternative angles in cases others fail to see." Legal 500 2020
- "Tenacious and measured in his cross-examination." Legal 500
- "He is persuasive and has a real knack for getting on with people." Legal 500
- "An incredibly proactive and talented Silk who takes a thorough approach to his brief." Legal 500
- Criminal Bar Association