Paul Hynes QC
Defends in serious criminal cases including: bribery, company offences, confiscation, corruption, dishonesty, drugs, firearms, fraud, homicide, money laundering, prison disorder/escape, robbery and terrorism.
"Almost undeniably the most intelligent member of the Bar", “phenomenally intelligent and outstanding in terms of case preparation & cross-examination” and “he goes the extra mile for his clients."
Significant civil and common law experience particularly in actions against the police/Home Office. Considerable experience of white collar crime and regulatory offences.
Advises and acts for local authorities, public and private companies, charities, police officers, politicians and senior civil servants, lawyers, company officers and other professionals in connection with a wide range of matters.
Instructed in relation to other crime related work including: extradition, health and safety, judicial review, prisons, proceeds of crime and tax tribunals.
A regular author, broadcaster, commentator and lecturer on crime and criminal law related issues.
Has spoken on a variety of topics at numerous Sweet & Maxwell conferences, the annual Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime, the White Paper Conference on CHIS Evidence and the Lexis/Nexis Butterworths Criminal Law Summer School, and chaired the annual McKay Law Surveillance Conference.
Has written for Sweet & Maxwell, Legal Action Group and Jordans publications, the Criminal Law Review, Counsel magazine, Criminal Law and Justice Weekly and is a current contributor to the Lexis/Nexis PSL Bribery Toolkit.
- Ranked in two categories of the 2019 Legal 500: Business and Regulatory Crime (including global investigations) and General Crime. Described as “Almost undeniably the most intelligent member of the Bar.” and “It is clear that when he is in front of the judge, his reputation goes before him and his arguments are respected.”
- Recommended as a leader in crime in Chambers and Partners 2019 as “Phenomenally intelligent and outstanding in terms of case preparation and cross-examination.” “He goes the extra mile for his clients.”
- Has been described in previous editions as: A diligent and "intellectually gifted barrister" regarded as being "excellent on the law" and "brilliant in front of juries." A "genuinely inspiring barrister" who is "clever, jury-friendly and has good judgement as well as the light touch which is so important in terrorism cases." "…fights his corner well." “fluent and articulate”; “tactically aware”, “bright and tenacious…” a “feisty and determined advocate”, an “extremely bright individual”, “Very hot on black letter law but also has a great jury manner”, “One of the most cerebral QCs”; “Intelligent and eloquent”; “always in command of the facts”, “Well regarded for the most intellectually challenging cases” and “A brain the size of Jupiter, without the matching ego”.
Articles & Publications
- Co-author of International Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing: A UK Perspective [December 2008, Sweet & Maxwell].
- A contributor to Abuse of Process A Practical Approach [June 2006, Legal Action Group], second edition [February 2011, Jordans].
- Occasional contributor to Criminal Law and Justice Weekly and Counsel magazine.
- Delegate lecturer to the annual Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime at Jesus College.
- Speaker at the White Paper Conference: Obtaining and Disclosing CHIS and Probe Evidence Lawfully and Skilfully.
- Speaker at the Lexis/Nexis Butterworths Criminal Law Summer School at Emmanuel College Cambridge.
- Speaker at the Sweet & Maxwell Conferences: The New Fraud Trial Model; Money Laundering Regulations, Are You at Risk? The Changing Face of Fraud Trials; and, The Coroners and Justice Act.
- Chair and speaker at the Sweet & Maxwell Conference: The New Fraud Offences.
- Chair of the McKay Annual Surveillance Conference: Bugging, Interception & the Death of the Key Principles.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Legal Action Group
- Police Action Lawyers Group
- BA (Hons.) Law; LLD (Hon.)