Diana Ellis QC
Diana Ellis QC initially practiced in general common law but for many years has worked exclusively in the field of criminal law. She is a hugely experienced and committed criminal defence barrister with a substantial domestic practice. She specialises in the most serious criminal offences: murder, armed robbery, sexual abuse, fraud, slavery and extradition. She has extensive experience in International Criminal and Humanitarian Law and during the last 20 years has worked in a number of international courts and has led defence teams in cases of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes cases.
Sources are in awe of her "expert understanding of international criminal law and her strong, uncompromising representation of her clients.Chambers UK
She has had extensive experience in extradition and international mutual legal assistance, representing individuals. She regularly works with lawyers outside the UK on national and international criminal cases assisting with strategy and legal challenges.
Domestic experience includes handling serious criminal cases at both trial & appellate level including fraud and conspiracy, homicide offences, organised crime including drug trafficking and armed robbery, sexual offences and the most serious child abuse cases. Diana Ellis is praised for her sensitivity and expert handling of vulnerable witnesses.
Appointed Recorder of the Crown Court.
- European Human Rights Advocacy Centre
- Pro-bono work assisting Russian lawyers in their applications to the ECHR.
- Kurdish Human Rights Project
- Advises on cases.
- Recently submissions have been made to the ECHR in respect of displacement of families and destruction of their villages and other Human Rights abuses.
- UN Appointed Counsel for ICTR.
- Authorised counsel for International Criminal Court.
- Member of the Cambodian Bar May (2008)
- Admitted as counsel to the Kosovo Specialist Chamber
- Criminal Bar Association
- European Criminal Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Bar Pro-Bono Unit
- Kurdish Human Rights Project
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
Recent Directory Quotes
- "Diana has incredible presence and poise in court. Judges, juries and witnesses all warm to her. This is an enormous asset to those she represents." Legal 500 Crime 2022
- "Tenacious and has vast knowledge on international criminal law." Legal 500 2022 Civil Liberties and Human Rights
- "She is an excellent advocate and brilliant lawyer. She is master of all the material in the cases in which she is instructed. Her knowledge of practice and procedure in international tribunals is second to none." Legal 500 2022 International Crime and Extradition
- "Experienced at handling international trials and contempt work." Chambers UK 2020
- "She is very forensic, extremely thoughtful and good when it comes to strategy." Chambers UK 2020
- "Extremely thorough and incredibly persistent." Legal 500 2020
- "Tenacious and has vast knowledge on international criminal law." Legal 500 2020
- "A highly impressive silk." Legal 500 2020
- "Meticulous in her preparation, her knowledge of the law and procedure is comprehensive." Legal 500 2018
- "Hugely respected and admired for her skill and expertise in international criminal law." Legal 500 2018
- "Unfailingly impressive and tenacious in her approach to the cases she undertakes." Legal 500 2018
Has trained Judges and lawyers from other jurisdictions in International Criminal Law and International Humanitarian Law and in fair trial standards and human rights.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Co-authored several Criminal Bar Association working papers.