- London 020 7067 1500
- Email email@example.com
Laurie-Anne Power KC
Appointed Silk in 2022, Laurie-Anne is highly experienced. She has acted on cases of varying size and complexity including murder, kidnap, firearms offences, sexual offences and complex fraud and associated offences including hidden asset recovery and confiscation.
She has appeared before the Court of Appeal, Courts Martial and the International Criminal Tribunal. Laurie-Anne is often instructed to appear in cases that require a firm yet affable approach. She has a reputation for being fearless.
Laurie-Anne spent considerable time at the United Nations supported Special Court in Sierra Leone. In this International Criminal Tribunal she appeared as a consultant for a defendant charged with mass genocide and allied crimes against humanity. She specialised in forced marriages/sexual slavery and child slavery in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other parts of West Africa.
Laurie-Anne is ranked as a leader in Crime in the Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
Laurie-Anne was awarded BSN Lawyer of the Year at the UK Diversity Legal Awards 2019.
- Former lecturer and unit leader at the London Metropolitan University, She lectured in criminal evidence and procedure and criminal law.
- Lectured on the Bar Vocational course (Manchester University) teaching advocacy and ethics.
- Laurie-Anne acted as the main researcher for an international event relating to the death penalty and death row cases in the United States, research included analysing State Law and how it related to European Law and whether it was compatible with the European Conventions on Human Rights, cases attracting life sentences and the European moral and ethical perspective.
- Represented the bar council as part of their delegation to New York co-chairing with the New York City Lawyers Association; Delivered seminars on International Fraud, International Cooperate investigations and differed prosecutions.
- Laurie-Anne is one of the Bar Council’s volunteers for education and training in schools and colleges in London.
- She acts as a volunteer for two government-recognised organisations, Inspirational U and Urban Synergy. Both organisations address the career development of young people in urban or marginalised areas; She spends a lot of time in schools mentoring young people about careers, social development and achieving their potential.
- In 2016, Laurie-Anne gave a lecture on Employability at the Bar for Black History Month at BPP Law School - the BPP African & Caribbean Society commented afterwards "thank you for showing us what fearless looks like".
- "Laurie-Anne is a first port of call for the most grave and serious offences. Her recent appointment to KC is long overdue and well deserved" Chambers UK 2023, New Silks: Crime
- "A real hard worker. You can trust her on paper-heavy cases as she will know everything." Chambers UK 2022
- "Laurie-Anne is a hardworking, committed advocate with a fantastic acquittal rate. She is an outstanding advocate. She is balanced and down to earth in her approach. She is able to show empathy with defendants and their families which is a key skill in my view. She is able to quickly gain the trust of clients and this assists when obtaining detailed instructions from difficult / vulnerable clients in complex or serious cases." Legal 500 2022, Crime
- "An extremely able advocate who has a confident and clear grasp of law. Her judgement is excellent." Chambers UK 2021
- "Her advocacy is to the point and persuasive. She is a true jury advocate." Legal 500 2021
- "A fighter and a true defence advocate. She will fight for your client to the very end. She builds excellent relationships with your clients and they trust her wholeheartedly." Legal 500 2021
- "Exceptionally hardworking, comitted and experienced, and also a talented advocate." Legal 500 2018
- "Her aptitude in the most serious and complex matters is phenomenal." Legal 500
- Middle Temple
- Criminal Bar Association
- International Lawyers Association
- Women in Criminal Law