Emma’s practice encompasses all areas of criminal defence work, focusing particularly upon serious violence and organised crime. Her practice also includes sexual offences, money laundering and fraud offences.
A focus on homicide, serious violence, firearm and drug conspiracies. This includes experience of allegations of human trafficking within drug conspiracies and other allegations under the Modern Slavery Act.
Emma has strong experience representing young and vulnerable defendants, including those with learning difficulties and mental health issues. She has experience working with intermediaries and advising on cases where fitness to plead is an issue. She was a contributory author to the Advocate’s Gateway Toolkits. She has completed the 2017 Advocacy and the Vulnerable Witness Training programme.
Emma previously worked in prisons in Malawi and Pakistan, and for the Howard League for Penal Reform where she specialised in representing young people in custody in all areas of post-conviction law. She has experience appearing in the High Court and Court of Appeal as well the Crown Court. She receives instructions as a junior alone and a led junior.
Associated with Crime, Human Rights & Confiscation.
Articles and Associated work
- Contributory author to “Abuse of Process” 3rd Edition, by Colin Wells, Oxford University Press
- Contributory author to “Research Handbook on International Financial Crime”, Edited by Barry Rider, published by Edward Elgar Publishing, 2015.
- Contributory author to Advocate’s Gateway Toolkits on behalf of the CBA.
- Co-authored response on behalf of CBA to the Criminal Justice and Courts Bill. Attended with Head of the CBA to give oral evidence before the Criminal Justice and Courts Bill Committee.
- CBA working group for the Punishment and Reform: Effective Community Sentences and Effective Probation Services consultations, Contempt of Court, and Guidelines on Concurrent Jurisdiction consultations
- “Youth Justice - Two words a world apart", Criminal Law & Justice Weekly, VOL 176(23), 332-333; C.B.Q. 2012, 2(Sum), 13.
- Guest lecturer on "Extradition and Surrender" on the BPP LLM Trans-National Criminal Justice Module.
- Criminal Bar Association committee –representative for those under 7 years call (2013-2016);
- Criminal Bar Association
- Young Legal Aid Lawyers
- The Howard League for Penal Reform