Leading Junior and junior for the defence in all areas of crime, including courts martial. Has also done an increasing amount of prison law, including advising on judicial reviews, appearing at adjudications, and pro bono work making submissions on life tariffs and on removal from Category A Status.
Harry Potter has represented professional footballers on road traffic offences, and other private clients for fare dodging, for obscene publications, and for indecent images.
Articles & Publications
- Alexander Paterson: Prison Reformer, Boydell & Brewer (2022) - a biography of the great prison reformer.
- A Brief History of the Common Law, Boydell & Brewer (2015) - an accessible and entertaining history tracing the growth of the law from its beginnings in Anglo-Saxon times to the present day.
- Hanging in Judgment: Religion and the Death Penalty from the Bloody Code to Abolition, SCM, 1993
- Hanging and Heresy, Kent University Press, 1994
- Father Diamond of Deptford, (ed) Ditchling Press, 1994
- Blood Feud: The Stewarts and Gordons at War in the Age of Mary Queen of Scots, Tempus 2002
- Edinburgh Under Siege 1571-1573, Tempus, 2003
- Articles on the Criminal Justice Act 1991, Job, Jeremiah, Rudyard Kipling and the First World War, Sir Thomas Browne, and the War Poets.
- Lectures on Kipling, Rastafarians, the Death Penalty, Criminal Justice, Prisons and The Evil of Anatomy.
- Leading contributor to BBC4's Capital Punishment documentary, 2011.
- Presenter of BBC4 Series The Strange Case of the Law, a three part history of the English Common Law. The programme was reviewed extensively and very enthusiastically
- Legal advisor to the 999 Club in Deptford (a local charity dealing with the homeless, addicts, and deprived children); regularly judges advocacy at the College of Law.
- Worked as a chaplain in the Prison service for 8 years, 5 full time, 4 years at Wormwood Scrubs dealing mainly with lifers, writing many reports and attending many lifer review hearings, and 4 years in Aylesbury, the only Cat A Young Offender Institution.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Positions of Responsibility
- 1984 Ordained priest in the Church of England
- 1984-7 Fellow, Selwyn College Cambridge
- 1992-2009 Vice Chair of Trustees of the 999 Club, Deptford
- 2002-6 Liberal Democrat Councillor in Greenwich
- Governor of Christ's Hospital and Eltham Green Specialist Sports College
- 1978 MA, History and Theology (1st Class, Cambridge)
- 1979 MPhil, Old Testament and Hebrew (Cambridge)
- 1992 LLB (Thames Valley)
- 1993 LPC Very Competent