Sheryl is a brilliant trial advocate who is routinely instructed in the broad spectrum of serious criminal cases. Sheryl has appeared as leading junior counsel, sole counsel and led junior in cases of varying complexity and seriousness. She has considerable experience in cases of homicide and serious violence, firearms offences, large scale drugs importation and conspiracy cases as well as serious sexual offences. She also has experience a led junior on large fraud trials.
Sheryl has extensive experience of cases involving serious violence with particular expertise in defending young people charged with the most serious offences. Her down to earth approach outside of the court room in addition to fearless presentation in court proves popular with both lay and professional clients and is of particular significance when representing young defendants.
Her strengths as an advocate lie not only in the measured but persuasive presentation of her cases in court, but also her meticulous scrutiny and application of the law and evidence often leading to well-timed successful legal arguments.
As a lawyer Sheryl is known to provide instructive and decisive advice on all legal matters to her professional clients; her wide interest in various other areas of law and developments within the law means she is often called upon for opinion or direction outside of matters relating to criminal law and practice.
Her legal acumen and ability to interpret and advise on law and legal concepts, means she is often called upon for opinion or legal direction in areas where the law (including criminal law) now intersects; Her reading, and research in one such area has led to advice to businesses and individuals in areas of entertainment on social media use, individuals and businesses on-line presence, and more recently privacy in this new digital age; as a public speaker she has given talks on these areas as well as a host of interconnected legal and non-legal social issues arising from them.
Sheryl is available for instruction in Direct Access cases.
- Another area of Sheryl’s legal practice relates to contractual advisory work within the industries of music and visual entertainment – this includes advising on contracts and intellectual property exploitation and copyright issues and more recently social media use and the law.
- In an era where lawyers are now being called upon to provide a more personal service to clients, Sheryl finds herself providing holistic advice for those clients in these industry areas who do approach her, and, drawing upon her network of people in connected industries, she has fostered long standing relationships with a wide array of clients who benefit from her presence bringing consistency in their representation and affairs.
- Sheryl holds an LL.M Masters in the area of Entertainment Law sought whilst in practice at the Bar and following her own interests in the academic analysis of the business and commercial/legal/contractual issues which underpin the sports and entertainment industries and now which through her own contacts and networks she is frequently instructed to advise or provide direction on.
- She has also provided advice on privacy and data protection;
- As a Public Speaker Sheryl gives talks to both businesses and educational establishments on subjects ranging from law and legal compliance, effective communication skills, and female career progression.
- Sheryl provides mentoring for young people from her home area through schools and other youth programmes;
- "She knows the law and understands how to deal with young people with learning difficulties and those who are vulnerable to exploitation." Chambers UK 2022
- "As an advocate Sheryl’s submissions and legal arguments are always artfully drafted and delivered. Judges are persuaded to her legal submissions even if they have been initially been against her. Not just the persuasiveness of her oral advocacy but also her manner of delivery are impressive — detailed, but broken down and carefully analysed against the law and fact so that no points are left unanswered." Legal 500 2022, Crime
- "Fabulous, charismatic and certainly on the money when it comes to putting together legal arguments and cross-examinations." Chambers UK 2021
- "She is very engaging in court" Chambers UK 2021
- "Sheryl is very engaging and excellent at forging professional relationships with clients and other lawyers." Legal 500 2021
- "She is hard working and is quick to grasp the key points upon which to form a case strategy." Legal 500 2021
- "She has a great ability to think on her feet in court and adapt her advocacy style to the witness before her, making her an excellent cross-examiner." Legal 500 2020
- Middle Temple
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
- Women in Criminal Law
- Criminal Bar Association