Leading and junior counsel with 29 years' experience in criminal defence work. Emma’s specialism is in both legal aid and private work. She is extremely hard-working, personable, and a fearless and tenacious advocate who quickly gains the trust of her
Emma is an outstanding barrister and has rightly earned an excellent reputation amongst her professional and lay clients, her colleagues and the judiciary.
Emma is the go-to barrister who will fight for her clients. She exudes confidence and gravitas in the courtroom and is extremely proud of her unrivalled acquittal rate. Emma has a great rapport with juries due to her relatable manner. Her closing speeches hold the attention of juries.
Emma has a heavy weight practice with 29 years experience in a wide range of criminal offences of a high profile and complex nature which are often reported in the media and involve multiple defendants. Her practice is predominantly homicide, serious and organised crime, firearms offences, kidnapping, armed robbery and multi-handed drugs conspiracies. Emma is also very experienced in serious sexual offences.
Emma is recommended as a leader in the Legal 500 Crime.
- In Emma's most recent article, "Going Country", Emma explains the growing epidemic of ‘County Lines’ criminality and modern slavery. Read the full article here.
- In September 2019, Emma coordinated and hosted an anti-knife crime initiative at Middle Temple which had a panel including a lead trauma surgeon, HHJ Joseph (who sits at the Central Criminal Court), a homicide detective, mother of a murder victim, Queen's Counsel and a youth mentor.
- In-house lecturing for solicitors firms.
- Registered Pupil Supervisor since October 2003.
- On CBA working party advocating the retention of Queen’s Counsel (2003).
- Presentation at the House of Commons to school children chaired by Diane Abbot MP (2005).
- On CBA working party regarding reform of legal education courses.
- Mentoring for schools and undergraduates.
- "Emma is a dream to work with. Even where there is what the prosecution would call a 'confession' recorded and served in evidence, she can see the defendant's side of the story, gently put it to the jury and secure an acquittal." Chambers UK 2023, Crime
- "She is able, over the course of a long trial. to keep juries interested and the client's spirits up." Chambers UK 2022
- "Emma is an extremely able lawyer. She is very bright, hard-working, focused and has an impressive ability to master large and complicated case papers efficiently and effectively. She is also very supportive and a team player." Legal 500 Crime 2022
- "An extremely engaging and effective advocate who has a great eye for detail and is very good at appreciating the bigger picture". Chambers UK 2021
- "She has a fantastic rapport with the jury, and is very clever". Chambers UK 2021
- "She has a brilliant analytical mind". Legal 500 2021
- "She is able to read, digest and then explain to even the most challenged clients serious legal principles and yet, make it seem so simple. She is an excellent advocate who commands any court.at the same time, she is able to empathise with her clients without compromising her very high professional standards" Legal 500 2021
- "A tough, no-nonsense advocate who delivers results" Legal 500 2020
- "Tenacious, hardworking and caring about her clients, she is a good lawyer and strong advocate". Legal 500 2018
- "A passionate advocate who empathises with, and fights hard for her clients". Legal 500
- "She has extensive experience of murder, sexual offence and drug cases". Legal 500
- "Incredibly good with heavyweight violent crime cases". Legal 500
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Women in Criminal Law