Leading & junior counsel with over two decades of experience in criminal defence work. Emma’s specialism is in both legal aid and private work. She is extremely hard working and is a fearless and tenacious advocate who quickly gains the trust of her clients.
She has earned an excellent reputation amongst her professional and lay clients as well as her colleagues.
If you want a fighter in court, she ticks that box. She is extremely proud of her unrivalled acquittal rate and is known in chambers as the barrister who consistently wins cases!
Emma has extensive experience in a wide range of criminal offences of a high profile and complex nature which are often reported in the media and involve multiple defendants. Her practice is predominantly homicide, serious and organised violence, firearms offences, human trafficking, kidnapping, armed robbery and multi handed drugs conspiracies. Emma is also very experienced in serious sexual offences.
Emma is recommended as a leader in the Legal 500 Crime.
Emma is ranked in Chambers UK as a Leading Barrister.
- In Emma's most recent article, "Going Country", Emma explains the growing epidemic of ‘County Lines’ criminality and modern slavery. Read the full article here.
- In September 2019, Emma coordinated and hosted an anti-knife crime initiative at Middle Temple which had a panel including a lead trauma surgeon, HHJ Joseph (who sits at the Central Criminal Court), a homicide detective, mother of a murder victim, Queen's Counsel and a youth mentor.
- In-house lecturing for solicitors firms.
- Registered Pupil Supervisor since October 2003.
- On CBA working party advocating the retention of Queen’s Counsel (2003).
- Presentation at the House of Commons to school children chaired by Diane Abbot MP (2005).
- On CBA working party regarding reform of legal education courses.
- Mentoring for schools and undergraduates.
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association