Osman is a specialist advocate, predominantly practising in business crime and regulatory cases. He is regularly instructed in the largest and most complex cases.
Highly experienced in cases involving serious fraud and financial regulatory breaches. He advises both pre and post-charge across a broad spectrum of investigations including HMRC investigations, VAT evasion allegations, MTIC and complex Trading Standards matters.
Osman advises both individuals and companies regularly in cases concerning quasi-criminal/regulatory allegations. Compliance expertise includes the Bribery Act and specifically on co-insurance contracts, third party and brokerage contracts. Osman has unrivalled expertise in defending in complex Town and Country Planning Act (TCPA) licence and HMO cases and challenging their related POCA proceedings. He has also defended in rare cases prosecuted by Ofsted under the Education and Skills Act, and in private prosecutions.
Osman is regularly instructed in complex confiscation matters including asset recovery, section 10(A) third parties interest, as well as freezing account orders. He frequently conducts contested confiscation hearings under both the Criminal Justice Act / Drug Trafficking Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act. His experience also includes contested contempt of court proceedings following alleged breaches of restraint orders, s18 and s17 POCA orders.
His general criminal practice has included numerous murder trials and major investigations conducted by the NCA and specialised prosecutorial authorities. He is adept in the cross-examination of vulnerable witnesses and appears in sensitive cases involving young complainants.
Osman advises and appears in appellate proceedings both in the Administrative Court and in the Appeal Courts. Judicial Review proceedings have included successful challenges relating to custody time limit applications. He also has experience in referring cases to the ECHR.
Ranked as a Leader in Fraud and Crime in the Legal 500 and as a Leading Criminal Junior in Chambers UK. He is a meticulous barrister who regularly handles the most complex and demanding cases.
- Osman has lectured upon numerous topics particularly related to fraud and financial regulatory topics.
- Lectures on the use of forensic evidence in homicide and sexual offences.
- Visiting Fellow at Middlesex University
- Visiting lecturer at the Barts & London School of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Advocacy Trainer and Assessor at Inner Temple.
- Inner Temple approved mentor.
- Criminal Bar Association (CBA)
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Member of the Gibraltar Bar
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)