Osman Osman is a specialist defence advocate practising in all types of criminal cases including major organised crime. He is regularly instructed in the largest and most complex cases.
Highly experienced in cases involving serious fraud and financial regulation both pre and post charge across a broad spectrum including HMRC conspiracies to defraud, VAT evasion and MTIC and trading standards matters.
Osman advises both individuals and companies regularly in cases of concerning quasi criminal/regulatory allegations. Compliance expertise includes the Bribery Act and specifically on co-insurance contracts, third party and brokerage contracts. Osman has unrivalled expertise in defending in complex Town and Country Planning Act (TCPA) licence and HMO cases and of challenging the related POCA proceedings.
Osman is regularly instructed in complex confiscation matters including asset recovery , including on behalf of third parties and including the new freezing account order provisions.
His practice includes numerous murder trials and major National Crime Agency operations. He is adept in the cross-examination of vulnerable witnesses and to appear in sensitive cases involving young complainants. He has frequently conducted contested confiscation hearings under both the Criminal Justice Act / Drug Trafficking Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act.
Osman advises and appears in appellate proceedings both in the Administrative Court and in the Appeal Courts. Judicial Review proceedings have included successful challenges relating to custody time limit applications.
Ranked as a Leader in Crime and Fraud in the Legal 500 and as a Leading Criminal Junior in Chambers UK.
- Osman has lectured upon numerous topics particularly related to fraud and financial regulatory topics.
- Lectures on the use of forensic evidence in homicide and sexual offences.
- Visiting lecturer at the Barts & London School of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Advocacy Trainer and assessor at Inner Temple and at the School of Advanced Legal Studies.
- Criminal Bar Association (CBA)
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Member of the Gibraltar Bar
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)