Nigel Sangster QC
An exclusive criminal defence specialist. Highly experienced in cases involving serious fraud, MTIC offences, money laundering, confiscation proceedings and other “White Collar” crimes. Regularly briefed to defend solicitors, accountants, financial advisors and other professionals. Nigel Sangster is available for public/direct access work.
He is a great advocate with an impressive courtroom presence - when he walks into the room you know you're in the presence of a distinguished silk
Has a fine track record in sophisticated financial crime cases, including those involving allegations of film and MTIC fraud. Other areas of strength include cases involving money laundering and confiscation proceedings.
Recent Directory Quotes
- Ranked in Band 1 for Financial Crime on North Eastern Circuit. Chambers UK 2019
- A consummate jury advocate who is respected by judges." "He is able to digest voluminous evidence and provide clear advice." Chambers UK 2019
- If it is a case that requires a lot of charm then he is definitely your man, as he always has an excellent rapport with the jury. I have known cases where he secured acquittals through charm alone. Chambers UK 2018
- "A good operator. He is a big beast in both general crime and financial crime, and he is good in both. A very confident advocate." Chambers UK
- "He is totally unflappable and presents as a calm individual, which impresses juries." Chambers UK
- "Extremely thorough in his preparation and robust in his advocacy." Legal 500
- Particularly good with vulnerable defendants in fraud trials.’ Legal 500 2018
An experienced defence silk who attracts praise for the calming influence he has on clients facing stressful criminal proceedings. He regularly defends in tax and investment fraud cases.
Extremely personable, very approachable, and a very good listener who observes a situation and then comes in with measured comments. He exudes confidence and takes control of the conference when he needs to.""
- Leader of the North-Eastern Circuit 2016 -
- Appointed Bencher of the Middle Temple in 2008.
- Joined 25 Bedford Row in January 2005.
- Former Head of Chambers at St Pauls Chambers, Leeds for eleven years [1995 to 2006].
- Member of the Bar Council [1992 to 2002 & 2012 onwards].
- Appointed Recorder of the Crown Court in 1996.
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)