- London 020 7067 1500
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nigel Sangster KC
Nigel Sangster is one of the most experienced KCs in the country, having practiced for 24 years as a Junior barrister and 24 years as a Silk.
An exclusive criminal defence fraud specialist, he is highly sought after in cases involving serious fraud. These include money laundering, tax and duty evasion, investment frauds, confiscation proceedings and a range of "white collar" crimes. He is regularly briefed to defend solicitors, accountants, financial advisors, company directors and other professionals. He is a former Leader of the North Eastern Circuit and ha sat as a part time Judge in the Crown Court for the last 26 years.
He is a great advocate with an impressive courtroom presence.
Recent Directory Quotes
- "Nigel is efficient in managing high volumes of material and sifting out the core issues. He is hard-working and always on top of his case" Legal 500 2023, Fraud: Crime
- "He has a marvellous rapport with his clients." Chambers UK 2022
- "Nigel has a thorough grasp of the facts and issues in a case, and his preparation is excellent. His down-to-earth manner helps him build good jury rapport." Legal 500 Fraud Crime 2022
- ''Nigel has a powerfully understated presence in court that contrasts brilliantly with those moments when he takes a witness apart or stands up to a judge. Juries really appreciate his manner and the rapport he is able to build with them. He also has a real ability to put a client at their ease and is a calmly reassuring force when dealing with vulnerable clients in particular. A first-rate leader in fraud cases.'' Legal 500 2021
- "Has a fine track record in sophisticated financial crime cases, including those involving allegations of film and MTIC fraud. Other areas of strength include cases involving money laundering and confiscation proceedings." Chambers UK
- "Very approachable and very straightforward, he has a really nice manner with the jury and he talks very plainly. He's very easy with clients, very calm and very confident." Chambers UK 2020
- "He has an impressively calm and assured court demeanour." Legal 500 2020
- Ranked in Band 1 for Financial Crime on North Eastern Circuit. Chambers UK 2019
- "A consummate jury advocate who is respected by judges." "He is able to digest voluminous evidence and provide clear advice." Chambers UK 2019
- "If it is a case that requires a lot of charm then he is definitely your man, as he always has an excellent rapport with the jury. I have known cases where he secured acquittals through charm alone." Chambers UK 2018
- "A good operator. He is a big beast in both general crime and financial crime, and he is good in both. A very confident advocate." Chambers UK
- "He is totally unflappable and presents as a calm individual, which impresses juries." Chambers UK
- "Extremely thorough in his preparation and robust in his advocacy." Legal 500
- "Particularly good with vulnerable defendants in fraud trials." Legal 500
- "An experienced defence silk who attracts praise for the calming influence he has on clients facing stressful criminal proceedings. He regularly defends in tax and investment fraud cases." Chambers UK
- "Extremely personable, very approachable, and a very good listener who observes a situation and then comes in with measured comments. He exudes confidence and takes control of the conference when he needs to." Legal 500
- Leader of the North Eastern Circuit 2016 - 2019.
- Appointed Bencher of the Middle Temple in 2008.
- Joined 25 Bedford Row in January 2005.
- Former Head of Chambers at St Paul's Chambers, Leeds for eleven years (1995 to 2006).
- Member of the Bar Council (1992 to 2002 & 2012 onwards).
- Appointed Recorder of the Crown Court in 1996.
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)
- Criminal Bar Association