George Carter-Stephenson QC
Specialist defence advocate with a varied and wide ranging practice extending over all types of criminal cases and disciplinary proceedings.
An absolute workhorse who is superb at pretty much everything he does.Chambers UK
Extremely experienced in dealing with highly involved and complex cases, including all areas of commercial, corporate and financial crime, incorporating SFO and FCA prosecutions and high value confiscation, asset recovery and restraint proceedings.
High profile crime work includes, providing pre charge advice on the whole range of criminal charges including lesser offences and offering full representation in the most serious matters concerning homicide, terrorism and the highest level of organised crime.
Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory work includes representing both individual and corporate respondents and high value VAT Tribunal work.
Ranked in Band 1 in Fraud (Crime), Business and Regulatory including Global Investigations and Crime in the Legal 500 2020 and in Band 1 for Financial Crime in Chambers UK 2020.
George Carter Stephenson QC is said to be one of the most outstanding members of the criminal bar, recent testimonials include the following:
- “The finest advocate in London at the moment." Chambers UK
- "Is singled out for his ‘excellent’ command of paperwork and ‘unrivalled’ dedication." Chambers UK
- "Combines a down-to-earth manner with a ‘street-fighting’ approach." Legal 500
- "Nobody works harder: his knowledge of the papers and of the detail of every case is magnificent and plain for all to see." Legal 500
- "Patient and kind with clients, who find his serenity and deep knowledge immensely reassuring." Legal 500
- Criminal Bar Association
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
- Member of the European Criminal Bar Association
- Head of the Fraud and Financial Litigation Group at 25 Bedford Row
- Regularly lectures on Financial Crime topics and immerging law and procedure
- Panel Chair and panel members at the Cambridge International Crime Symposium 2015-2019