George Carter-Stephenson KC
Specialist defence advocate with a varied and wide ranging practice extending over all types of criminal cases and disciplinary proceedings.
An absolute workhorse who is superb at pretty much everything he does.Chambers UK
Extremely experienced in dealing with highly involved and complex cases, including all areas of commercial, corporate and financial crime, incorporating SFO and FCA prosecutions and high value confiscation, asset recovery and restraint proceedings.
High profile crime work includes, providing pre charge advice on the whole range of criminal charges including lesser offences and offering full representation in the most serious matters concerning homicide, terrorism and the highest level of organised crime.
Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory work includes representing both individual and corporate respondents and high value VAT Tribunal work.
Ranked in Band 1 in Crime, Fraud (Crime) and Business and Regulatory including Global Investigations and Crime in the Legal 500 2023 and in Band 1 for Crime and Financial Crime in Chambers UK 2023.
George Carter-Stephenson KC is said to be one of the most outstanding members of the criminal bar, recent testimonials include the following:
- "In court it's a pleasure to watch his cross-examinations." Chambers 2023 UK, Crime
- "One of the hardest-working silks around who puts as much effort into his publicly funded cases as he does his private ones." Chambers 2023 UK, Crime
- "George is the real deal: he is always supremely prepared and will know the papers like no one other in the case" Legal 500 2023, Business & Regulatory Crime (Including Global Investigations)
- "His work ethic is unrivalled and he achieves success in cases which might at first appear hopeless. He has a friendly manner and always places himself on a level with the lay client never appearing haughty or remote." Legal 500 2023, Fraud: Crime
- "Brilliant on his feet, he puts on amazing performances in court." Chambers UK 2022
- "He is very jury-friendly and can reduce the most complex materials into digestible material. He has a very nice manner and it's a pleasure to watch him in cross-examinations." Chambers UK 2022
- "His mastery of detail is phenomenal. He brings decades’ worth of experience in defending the most serious allegations in the criminal calendar — he has seen pretty much everything there is to see, and yet retains a natural enthusiasm for his cases that makes him a formidable operator in court." Legal 500 Crime 2022
- "George has a wide knowledge of all regulatory issues to which he applies his outstanding tactical awareness. He provides solutions, not problems." Legal 500 Business and Regulatory Crime
- "George is an absolute giant in fraud work, with a devastatingly effective talent for cross-examination and for standing up to judges where necessary. He works prodigiously hard and can spot details that others miss. A class act." Legal 500 Fraud Crime 2022
- “The finest advocate in London at the moment." Chambers UK
- "Is singled out for his ‘excellent’ command of paperwork and ‘unrivalled’ dedication." Chambers UK
- "Combines a down-to-earth manner with a ‘street-fighting’ approach." Legal 500
- "Nobody works harder: his knowledge of the papers and of the detail of every case is magnificent and plain for all to see." Legal 500
- "Patient and kind with clients, who find his serenity and deep knowledge immensely reassuring." Legal 500
- Criminal Bar Association
- Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association (POCLA)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- South Eastern Circuit
- European Criminal Bar Association
- Head of the Fraud and Financial Litigation Group at 25 Bedford Row
- Regularly lectures on Financial Crime topics and immerging law and procedure
- Panel Chair and panel members at the Cambridge International Crime Symposium 2015-2019