Firearms: New Sentencing Guidelines
Eight new sentencing guidelines have been published and come into force on 1 January 2021. The new guidelines are for offences of:
- possession, purchase or acquisition of a prohibited weapon or ammunition – sections 5(1), 5(1A);
- possession, purchase or acquisition of a firearm/ammunition/shotgun without a certificate – sections 1(1), 2(1);
- possession of a firearm or ammunition by person with previous convictions prohibited from possession a firearm or ammunition – sections 21(4), 21 (5);
- carrying a firearm in a public place – section 19;
- possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life – section 16;
- possession of a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence – section 16A;
- use of firearm or imitation firearm to resist arrest/possession of firearm or imitation firearm while committing a Schedule 1 offence/carrying firearm or imitation firearm with criminal intent – sections 17(1), 17(2), 18; and
- manufacture/sell or transfer/possess for sale or transfer/purchase or acquire for sale or transfer prohibited weapon or ammunition – section 5(2A).
This Webinar offered practitioners guidance and addressed what is new in the guidelines, how the guidelines work, minimum sentences, the sentencing of those under 18 and exceptional circumstances.
The full video recording of this Webinar can be viewed here.
To listen to this Webinar as a podcast on our Spotify Channel, please click here.
Click here for the latest gun facts and figures for the UK, as referred to in the Webinar.