Monica is an experienced barrister instructed in a wide range of serious and complex cases including homicide, serious violence and public justice offences such as perjury and perverting the course of justice. A skilled and measured advocate, she is instructed in both private and publicly funded criminal cases.
With fifteen years’ experience defending a wide range of allegations, she has developed an expertise dealing with vulnerable clients and witnesses and is currently accredited to facilitate the training of other barristers in this field. Other legal professional experience includes acting in inquest hearings and a recent six-month assignment undertaking work for a core participant to the Public Inquiry on Undercover Policing.
In addition to criminal trials, Monica writes regularly for a broad range of legal publications and leading legal directories. During her time on the Criminal Bar Association Committee she also helped draft several working group responses to government consultations.
Before being called to the Bar, Monica lectured in law. She continues to be a regular speaker at legal seminars and professional conferences as well as being a supervisor to pupil barristers.
Associated Professional Work
- Accredited Training Facilitator, The Vulnerable Witness Training Scheme
- Accredited Pupil Supervisor (Middle Temple)
- Current Member, Criminal Bar Association Education & Training Committee (2008-Present)
- Contributing Author for Legal Directories (Westlaw; Lexis Nexis)
- Mentor, Women in Criminal Law (WICL)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Peace Brigades International
- Women in Criminal Law
- Sentencing Guidelines for Manslaughter Offences – Crime Line (2018) https://crimeline.co.uk/sentencing-guidelines-for-manslaughter/
- Anonymity for Defendants, Complainants of Sexual Offences, Criminal Bar Quarterly (November 2017)
- Pre-Recorded Video Evidence, Section 28, Criminal Law Justice Quarterly (2014)
- Maintaining Standards, New Law Journal (2012)
- A Timely Reminder of What is at Stake, The Times Online (2012)
- Showing your Hand (The New Defence Witness Notice Provisions), COUNSEL Magazine (2010)
- No Stone Left Unturned (Admission of “Cell Confessions”), New Law Journal, (2005)
- Choose Life” (Reform to the Homicide Laws), Solicitors’ Journal (2004)