Experienced counsel in a wide range of cases involving attempted murder, serious violence, fraud, trading standards, serious sexual offences and complex allegations of child cruelty.
Known for her skilled, measured advocacy and sound tactical judgement, Monica has extensive experience defending a wide range of allegations.
A regular contributor for leading legal directories, she has also undergone specialist training in the handling of vulnerable witnesses and currently assists with the chambers in-house training programme for the same.
Monica is a long-standing member of the Criminal Bar Association (CBA) Education Sub-Committee and in this role, has assisted with the running of numerous legal training conferences. Over the years she has also helped draft working group responses on behalf of the CBA in response to government consultation law reform papers. She currently serves as a contributing author for two leading legal directories (Westlaw and Lexis Nexis).
Before becoming a barrister, Monica lectured on the subject of her Master’s degree (Public International Law) at an Independent Law college in London. Alongside her current practise, she has provided webinars, seminars and in-house lectures on a range of legal topics.
- Criminal Bar Association (Education & Training Committee Member)
- Contributing Author for Legal Directories (Westlaw Insight Directory & the Lexis Nexis Practice Notes on Sexual Offences)
- Accredited (Middle Temple) Pupil Supervisor
- Trained Facilitator (The Vulnerable Witness Training Programme)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Peace Brigades International
Articles & Publications
- Anonymity for Defendants, Complainants of Sexual Offences, Criminal Bar Quarterly, November 2017 LINK
- Pre-Recorded Video Evidence, Section 28, Criminal Law Justice Quarterly, June 2014 LINK
- Maintaining Standards, New Law Journal 27 July 2012
- A Timely Reminder of What is at Stake, The Times Online, 24 May 2012
- Showing your Hand (The New Defence Witness Notice Provisions), COUNSEL Magazine July 2010
- No Stone Left Unturned (Admission of “Cell Confessions”), New Law Journal, 2005
- Choose Life” (Reform to the Homicide Laws), Solicitors’ Journal, 2004