Joanna Evans is a specialist criminal and human rights practitioner with particular expertise acting in cases which have an international dimension.
Joanna was called to the Bar in 1998 and has extensive litigation experience at both domestic and international level. She has many years of criminal trial experience as well as particular expertise in litigating on behalf of applicants before the European Court of Human Rights in cases of serious human rights violations (including disappearances; extra-judicial killings; torture; inhuman/degrading treatment and violations of fair trial rights).
She has acted in numerous cases before the ECHR including as an advocate before the Grand Chamber. She has also acted in cases before the Inter American Commission of Human Rights. In the field of international criminal law she has acted or advised in cases before the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, the International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia and the International Criminal Court. Significant cases include The Prosecution v Ferdinand Nahimana ‘The Media Trial’ (ICTR); More than 30 cases against Russia arising from alleged violations on Georgian territory during the South Ossetian conflict of 2008 (ECHR); Maximov v Russia (ECHR) dealing with the murder of an investigative journalist in St. Petersburg and The Prosecutor v Lubanga (ICC) advisory work in relation to proposed litigation on behalf of victims of sexual violence within the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Joanna also has significant experience dealing with rule of law and capacity building issues arising out of a variety of jurisdictions including Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Russian Federation, Georgia and Iraq. She regularly acts as an expert in human rights/criminal justice issues for a range of global organisations which have included OSCE, IBA, FCO, Council of Europe and the International Criminal Bar Association. Listed as a leader in Civil Liberties in Legal 500.
- Senior Lawyer to the European Human Rights Advocacy Centre
- Independent member of the Parole Board
- Deputy District Judge
- Recorder of the Crown Court
- "A highly intelligent and extremely talented lawyer. She is meticulous in her preparation of cases and has a commanding knowledge of each case." Legal 500 2021, Civil Liberties and Human Rights.
- "A highly experienced, dedicated and impressive human rights barrister." Legal 500 2018
- “An outstanding lawyer, who strives tirelessly in the interests of her clients”. Legal 500 2016