Instructed as sole and junior counsel in a wide range of serious and sensitive cases, including serious sexual offences, complex allegations of child cruelty and white collar fraud.Monica also has experience acting in trading standards prosecutions.
Her principal areas of practise are:
- Trading Standards
- Sexual Offences
- Child cruelty
- General Crime: Serious Violence, Firearms and Drugs Offences
Monica has experience defending in a wide range of criminal cases and is known for her skilled advocacy, methodical case preparation and sound tactical judgement.
A member of the Criminal Bar Association Education Committee, she has helped draft several working group responses to government consultation papers on law reform and co-authored a number of articles in the legal press. Monica also serves as a contributing editor to the legal directory, Westlaw and has authored the guidance on sexual offences for legal research tool, Lexis Nexis.
Before being called to the Bar, Monica lectured on the subjects of public international law and legal research at an independent law college in London. More recently, she has provided webinars for the Law Society and a series of in-house seminars providing fellow practitioners with legal update training.
- CBA Education & Training Committee (Member since 2006, former Secretary)
- Contributing author (Westlaw Insight Directory)
- Contributing author (Lexis Nexis Practice Notes on Sexual Offences)
- Middle Temple Accreditied Pupil Supervisor
Articles & Publications
- Pre-Recorded Video Evidence, Section 28 – Criminal Law Justice Quarterly, June 2014
- "Maintaining Standards" - New Law Journal 27 July 2012
- "Timely Reminder of What is at Stake", The Times online, 24 May 2012
- “Showing your Hand” (the new defence witness notice provisions) – COUNSEL Magazine [July 2010]
- “No Stone Left Unturned” (cell confessions) – New Law Journal 
- “Choose Life?” (Reform to the homicide laws) – Solicitors’ Journal 
- BBP Law School, Bar Vocational Course (Grade awarded: "Outstanding")
- Master's in Public International Law, LLM, University of Nottingham
- LLB, Cardiff University (Upper Second Class Honours)
- Middle Temple Scholar awarded for BVC results (Baron Ver Heyden Der Lancy Award)