Robert Shaw is a specialist criminal and regulatory barrister with extensive advocacy experience. Robert specialises in fraud, financial crime (individuals and corporate) and other serious and complex crime work.
Having acted as sole counsel in a number of fraud and significant general criminal cases he provides strategic advice to individuals as well as corporations in relation to both criminal and regulatory investigations. Robert combines a genuine flair for advocacy with a level-headed approach and a dedication to meticulous preparation, making him ideally suited to the demands of complex, serious and high-profile investigations.
Robert is frequently instructed to advise suspects at the pre-charge stage of an investigation and has a very strong track record in avoiding charge. This has included avoiding charge in respect of allegations of fraud, violence, voyeurism, causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and rape for clients that have included a Member of Parliament, a member of the Security Services and numerous other professionals.
Prior to joining chambers Robert worked at Corker Binning, a leading firm of solicitors, where he gained significant experience of white-collar crime working on Operation Euripus, an MTIC fraud involving at that time the largest ever loss to HMRC, estimated at £250m.
- Internal Investigations – The Proffer Minefield, Young Fraud Lawyers Association, Summer Newsletter 2018
- Privilege and Internal Investigations: Further Twists and Turns, Geoffrey Payne and Robert Shaw, UK Finance Blog
- 2008 Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding), College of Law
- 2008 LLB, College of Law
- 2007 Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law
- 2005 BSc. (Hons) Biological Science, University of Birmingham
- 2007 Diplock Scholar, Middle Temple
- Criminal Bar Association
- Middle Temple
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit