Melanie is a criminal defence specialist acting as leading and junior counsel in serious and organised crime including: murder and serious violence, sexual offences, large scale drug and robbery conspiracies, fraud, money laundering and firearms offences.
Conducts high profile, complex and difficult cases requiring strong skilful advocacy, negotiation and tactical and forensic analysis of evidence and law. Melanie is frequently instructed in cases brought by national agencies such as SOCA, Trident and CPS special casework unit and the Flying squad.
Regularly advises and conducts complicated appeals including domestic and Privy Council. Melanie has worked in other jurisdictions including the Caribbean and is very experienced in dealing with cases that have an international dimension; her work has taken her into fields such as International Law and Treaties, confiscation, serious fraud and corruption.
Melanie has expertise in defending rape and sexual offences particularly in cases involving vulnerable complainants
Qualified to undertake ‘Direct Access’ work.
Associated /International Work
- Appears in Advocacy and training videos for College of Law Bar Vocational Course.
- Recently advised a significant individual in relation to the corruption investigation in the Turks & Caicos Islands.
- Has spent three months working in Jamaica defending in capital murder cases.
- Has previously worked for ChildLine and the London Rape Crisis Centre.
- Gray’s Inn
- Criminal Bar Association
- Female Fraud Forum
- Jamaica Council for Human Rights
- University College, London, BA (Hons), Law
- Inns of Court School of Law