Melanie Simpson QC
Melanie Simpson is a highly regarded criminal defence barrister who is sought after by professional and lay clients. She is renowned for her exceptional cross-examination and high acquittal rate. Melanie is typically engaged defending in cases involving multiple defendants, her work encompasses the full range of complicated criminal law matters.
Melanie’s high-profile cases attract extensive media interest and she has been invited to give her legal expertise to media organisations including the BBC Radio 4, Channel 4 and YouTube (with whom she has established a consultant role) . Some of Melanie’s’ recent media reported cases include ( R v NP) leading counsel in a multi-handed conspiracy to carry out an acid attack on a child. (R v IS) leading counsel in human trafficking case with dozens of complainants, linked to premises owned by a major political party donor. (R v MK) leading counsel in historical sexual grooming and rape of 11-year old girl in care who was plied with heroin and prostituted; one of the most serious “grooming” cases that has come to light in the UK. (R v JS) Multi-handed cut-throat murder case involving gang rivalry played out in “drill” music videos, this case was the subject of a Channel 4 documentary. (R v MDN) Conspiracy to transfer a cache of firearms and sub-machine guns.
Melanie’s practice is increasingly taking on an international element; she has advised Defendant’s charged with governmental fraud, corruption and money laundering offences.
- "Melanie is an exceptional barrister. She had a heavyweight practise prior to taking Silk and has continued with that practise in Silk. She has no weaknesses. Her core strengths are: brilliant on the law, incisive in terms of her examination of witnesses, she makes the complex look simple, clients and juries love her resulting in her achieving acquittals for clients who count themselves lucky she was their barrister." Legal 500 2022, Crime
- "Melanie is very down to earth and comes across well because the jury feel she's one of them." Chambers UK 2021
- "A tenacious defender who fights her client's corner passionately. Excellent jury and court operator." Legal 500 2021
- "A go-to advocate to deal with a difficult client facing a seemingly overwhelming case." Legal 500 2020
- Ranked as a Leader in Crime in the Legal 500. Legal 500 2020
- Recommended as a Leading Junior in Crime. Legal 500
- "An outstanding advocate, who dominates trials through her successful legal arguments and jury engagement." Legal 500
- Gray’s Inn
- Criminal Bar Association
- Association of Women Barristers
- University College, London, BA (Hons), Law
- Inns of Court School of Law