Abimbola’s practice encompasses all areas of criminal defence and associated areas of work including fraud, serious and organised violence, drugs, public disorder, sexual offence cases, confiscation and enforcement, licensing and regulatory offences, closure orders and trading standards matters. She has experience representing young and vulnerable clients.
As well as being instructed on her own, Abimbola has been led in complex and serious matters including a high profile ‘sham marriage’ trial at Inner London Crown Court in which she and her leader, Laurie-Anne Power successfully made half-time submissions on the basis of the legitimate expectation of their client and corruption in the investigatory process by the UKBA.
Abimbola has experience dealing with proceeds of crime matters including cash seizure and forfeiture proceedings. She has represented various clients facing confiscation enforcement proceedings and those requesting variations of existing confiscation orders.
Abimbola is instructed alone and as a led junior.
Abimbola completed a secondment to the regulatory department of Kingsley Napley between January and October 2016 during which she presented over 30 cases on behalf of the Health and Care Professions Council, the UK’s second largest regulator. She presented cases against a range of Registrants on the basis of impairment by reason of health, misconduct, lack of competence, and the existence of convictions and cautions. She also assisted with drafting legal update articles and skeleton arguments. Her experience as a presenter means that she is familiar with the legal principles and procedural structures in which all healthcare regulators operate. She is now available to accept instructions defending in all healthcare regulatory bodies.
- Recorded revision lectures for the College of Law re: Serious Crime Prevention Orders
- Current contributor to Lexis Nexis PSL Corporate crime project.
- Current contributor to Thomson Reuters Practical Law tool on Crown Court processes.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Howard League for Penal Reform
Education and Awards
- 2013 Criminal Bar Association Award, First Prize
- 2011 BPTC, BPP Law School
- 2011 Outstanding Contribution to Pro Bono Work, BPP Law School
- 2011 Inner Temple Major Exhibitioner
- 2011 Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award
- 2009 Jurisprudence BA (Hons), University of Oxford