Instructed in serious criminal cases including terrorism, homicide, fraud, drugs, armed robbery, extradition, and in cases involving human rights issues.
Jo Sidhu is associated with the following areas of expertise:
Jo Sidhu is available for direct access cases.
Recommended as a leading silk in crime in Chambers and Partners UK 2013
“admired for his performance and conduct at court”
“very proactive and diligent”
“steps up to the plate”
Recommended as a new silk The Legal 500 2012
“superlative: he punches way above his weight” (2009).
- R v Usman Saddique & ors – ‘Airline Liquid Bomb’ plot to explode seven airplanes over the Atlantic in August 2006. (Acquitted) VHCC
- R v Abdul Jalil & ors - 'Dirty bomb' manufacture alleged to be used for mass terrorist killing. (Pleaded guilty) VHCC
- R v Mouloud Bouhrama & ors - Chemical weapons [Ricin] manufacture alleged to be preparation for mass terrorist killing. (Acquitted) VHCC
- R v Pirughan Kunaratnam & ors (ongoing) - battering to death of victim with a cricket bat in alleged gang related fight in Lewisham.
- R v Hassan Tonbul & ors – defendant allegedly involved in an ongoing feud between Turkish gangs in North London which resulted in an execution.
- R v VO & ors – 17 year old accused of gang related murder of 16 year old
- R v Daniel Rogers – Defendant with Tourette’s Syndrome accused of murdering a taxi driver
- R v Robert Jones – Defendant with Asperger’s Syndrome and Schizophrenia stabbed mother in the head
- R v Sabra Sultana & ors - "Thumb that fell from the sky" murder
- R v Michael Jachimowicz – killing of father and burying of body in the garden
- R v Pritpal Panesar & ors - honour killing of co-defendants mother's lover
- R v GF – Broadmoor patient accused of double murder, attempted murder and rapes.
- R v Sean Edwards - gangland stabbing
- R v Mahmuda Khatun – stabbing to death of husband after abusive arranged marriage.
- R v Marcel Anderson – punch in fight resulting in death of 60 year old victim
- R v Gabriel Alecu & ors - gangland beating to death of victim in back of ambulance.
- R v Imran Khan – stabbing to death in street gang dispute.
- R v Manoj Mistry & ors – kidnapping, strangulation and burning to death of love rival.
- R v Myriam Conte – stabbing to death of student by housemate.
- R v Terry Steadman & ors – beating to death of elderly man in random street assault.
- R v Ranjit Sohal – beating to death of wife with hammer after domestic argument.
- R v Kalvinder Dosanjh - soliciting to murder of own daughter as an 'honour killing'.
- R v Paul Jones & ors - hit man contract killing (shooting) of a business rival.
- R v Christopher Wilkins – attempted murder (stabbing) in a street fight.
- R v Asburn Morrison- attempted murder (stabbing) at a blues party.
- R v Jermaine Pearcy & ors - double attempted murder (shooting) at a nightclub.
- R v Timothy Merchant - double attempted murder (shooting) & conspiracy to pervert justice.
- R v Colin Crawley & ors - attempted murder (shooting) of former business partner.
- R v Francis Pope & ors - double attempted murder (shooting) at nightclub.
- R v Pauline Drinkwater - manslaughter/aiding & abetting suicide of husband in suicide pact.
- R v Hai Ban Tran & 23 Ors - - Conspiracy to produce cannabis. VHCC (largest ever) (ongoing)
- R v Troy Alleyne & ors - Conspiracy to supply crack cocaine valued at over £50 million: dubbed the "bling bling gang".
- R v R.W. - Importation of 3 tonnes of cannabis valued at over £10 million.
- R v Henry Mumford & ors - Conspiracy to produce largest ever quantity of amphetamine sulphate valued at £6 million.
- R v Jason Smith - Conspiracy to supply heroin valued at over £1 million.
- R v Desmond Black & ors - Conspiracy to supply heroin and firearms (Operation Trident).
Robbery / Handling
- R v Soloman Beyene – Conspiracy to rob Graff jewellers. £40 million worth of jewels stolen.
- R v Lynnden Willoughby & or - Conspiracy to steal computer equipment valued at over £25 million.
- R v Jagdev Shergill & ors - Conspiracy to handle computer goods valued at over £7 million.
- R v Abdul Awada - Conspiracy to handle mobile phones valued at over £1 million.
- R v Michael Walker & ors - Armed robbery by gang who murdered victim in course of one robbery.
- R v David Samuel & ors - Conspiracy to rob in a string of Securicor van hold ups.
Fraud and Financial Regulation
- R v Yuganthini Thayaparan – Money laundering conspiracy of more than £100 million. VHCC
- R v SM & ors – Conspiracy to cheat HMRC by claiming rebates and VAT on Bollywood movies that were never made.
- R v Joyti De-Laurey & ors - Goldman Sachs secretary who used forgery and deception to obtain over £4 million from bosses.
- R v Malcolm Gell & ors - Excise/VAT diversion fraud valued at over £100 million.
- R v Malcolm Gell & ors - Excise/VAT diversion fraud valued at over £30 million.
- R v N C & ors – Solicitor alleged to be party to defrauding land registry.
- R v Sukhdip Sander & ors – Conspiracy to commit ‘long firm’ fraud of £1.2 million.
- R v Alpesh Patel & ors - Bank fraud conspiracy valued at over £15 million.
- R v Choudry Maroof & ors - Credit card fraud conspiracy valued at over £2 million.
- R v Zarina Mahmood & ors - Bank fraud conspiracy valued at over £1.25 million.
- R v Dilbagh Singh - Dept. of Health fraud conspiracy valued at over £1.25 million.
- R v Anthony Ijomanta & ors - Advance fee fraud conspiracy between Nigeria and UK.
- R v Muhamed Iqbal - Second largest ever conspiracy to produce forged passports (x 450) valued at over £1.5 million.
- R v Zarina Patel & ors – Largest ever illegal immigration conspiracy (bogus marriages) involving 28 defendants.
- Mahmuda Khatun  EWCA Crim 138 (murder conviction - whether issues of intent & provocation were properly withdrawn.
- Abdul Jalil  EWCA Crim 2910 (appeal against sentence in Trans-Atlantic airline liquid bomb plot).
- Michael Walker & ors  EWCA Crim 554 (judge failed to apply correct criteria for imposing imprisonment for public protection – sentence appeal allowed).
- Shamim Choudhary  EWCA Crim 2474 (sentence appeal allowed).
- Govt. of Romania v Valentin Ceausescu  EWHC 2615 (Admin) (Extradition appeal for Romanian police captain convicted of corruption offences.)
- R v Robert Powell  EWCA Crim 1621 - (Section 34 misdirection. Conviction quashed).
- R v Michael Lawrence  EWCA Crim 326 - (Sentence)
- R v Mehmet Goren  EWCA Crim 307 - (Sentence appeal allowed)
- R v Mohamed Abdi  Case No. 9902501Y5 - (Sentence appeal allowed)
- Attorney-General’s Reference No.14 of 1998 (Lee McGregor)  1. Cr.App.R.(S.) 205 CA. (whether life imprisonment should be substituted for a determinate sentence of 11 years in a violent rape)
- R v Harvey and Osbourne (1997) 4 Archbold News 7, CA - (prosecution witnesses’ refusal to give evidence out of fear resulting in imprisonment for contempt).
- R v Schot and Barclay  2 Cr.App.R. 383, CA; 161 J.P. 143, CA. - (juror's refusal to return verdict resulting in imprisonment for contempt. Conviction quashed).
- Cases that Changed our Lives - author of chapter on Legal Insanity. Foreword by Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, Master of the Rolls. Butterworths (2010).
- Twenty Eight Days - What's the Verdict CLJW (2010), Vol 174, p103
- The Criminal Case of Usman Saddique The Guardian.11/02/10
- The Special Relationship CBQ March 2007. Issue 1, p6
- Vice-chair Equality & Diversity Committee of the Bar Council (member since 2003).
- Co-Chair of the Society of Asian Lawyers (since 2013).
- Qualified to undertake direct public access work.
- Senior advocacy trainer with Lincoln’s Inn.
- Pupil supervisor.
- Bar Council delegate and speaker at American Bar Association conference (2006).
- Regularly appear as a Judge in mock trials for Metropolitan police training.
- Member of Criminal Bar Association’s Equality and Diversity Committee (since 2004).
- Member of working group on diversity issues chaired by the Attorney-General (2008).
- Member of Bar’s South Eastern Circuit (2008).
- Member of North London Bar Mess (2008).
- Member of Wadham College Law Society (since 2000).
Pre-Law Experience and Voluntary Work
- Chair of School Governing Body (since 1997).
- Elected Councillor in London Borough of Ealing (1994-1998).
- Member of Middlesex Area Probation Committee (1995-1998).
- Tutor in Economics (P/T) (1989-91).
- Senior Programme Researcher at the BBC (F/T) (1989).
- Policy and Research Officer with London Borough of Ealing (F/T) (1988).
- Caseworker with Southall Monitoring Project (P/T) (1986-1989).
- Jury foreman in two trials (1984).
- Hindi (working knowledge)
BA (Hons) PPE - University of Oxford
MSc International Political Economy - L.S.E.
CPE - The College of Law
BVC - Inns of Court School of Law
T. 020 7067 1500